[Public-list] Mast Sheave Order Confirmation

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Fri Sep 8 06:36:18 PDT 2006

Test Sheave 1 went in about two weeks ago with success, and Test Sheave
2 was installed successfully Monday morning, and functioned perfectly
while sailing on Wednesday.

Time to place the order.

I have (or expect shortly) checks for the following folks, please check
to make sure you are on the list if you want a sheave:

Kirk 1 pick up
Bergquist 1 pick up
Meinhold 1 pick up
Grosh 1 pick up
Katz 1 ship
Stark 1 ship
Fleury 1 ship
Alley 1 pick up
Bounds 1 ship
Dinwiddie 1 ship
Sutherland 1 ship
Ydel 1 ship
Irving 1 ship
Laco 2 ship
Kingsland 1 ship
Lehman 2 pick up
John Boor 1 ship
Brian Curry 1 ship

Total 20 to be ordered

The install was fairly easy and straightforward, but would be slightly
easier with two people (or if you happen to have a third hand) to handle
the two loose cheek plates while juggling the sheave, the compression
tube, the bolt and the uppers, especially if you are doing the install
with the end of the mast hanging over the water.  I wasn't able to get
any photos (was too concerned about dropping pieces in the water), but
would be happy to run through the details with anyone who's interested
and emails me.

The new sheave is ever so slightly larger in diameter than the original
sheave I removed (approx. .25").  It is possible the original was worn
down quite a bit (it was fairly ratty).  Either way, the slight increase
in size should be a benefit, if anything, as it will keep the halyard
just a bit further from the extrusion.  Please contact me if you have
any questions about this, my install was non-eventful and required no
modification.

For anyone else considering placing an order, there is still time.
These seem to be much higher quality pieces than the originals (although
it's hard to argue with 40 years of flawless service), and I believe
they're about equivalent in weight to the Tufnol and lighter than the
aluminum ones I've seen.  I'll post photos of the sheave I removed
showing the wear.  The manufacturer has a website, www.zephyrwerks.com
where he has photos and materials specs.

Thanks,

Andrew

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.