[Public-list] insulating the ice box

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Mon Sep 18 07:27:33 PDT 2006

> I am interested in improving my ice box this winter.
> help to have further  ( any maybe more recent ) descriptions of  how
> people have upgraded their ice boxes by improving the insulation.
>
> I am also interested in hearing from those who have installed
> regrigation as well. It seems to me that doing this would only make
> sense if one had fixed the insulatiioin problem first.
>
> Finally, Ray Marks (august 1984) said that his insulation job improved
> the function of the ice box but speculated that if the whole box were
> taken apart, a better job could be done. Has anyone taken this route? If
> so, how was the task accomplished? with what results?
>
> Thanks fro any and all help.
>
> David, 432
> David

I did this about 4 years ago and it did help with the cooling and cold
retention.  The existing ice box is a one piece unit installed before  (I
believe)the top was installed as even after removing the top I could not
remove the unit in one piece, I cut the box into 3 section for removal.
At this point I found the insulation at the bottom by to be completely
saturated in water thus having no insulating properties. I made my own box
out of 1.0in pink insulation foam laminated into a 3in wall all around and
about 4in in the bottom.__I also made it smaller and used only one of the
access lids and left a space equal to the size of soft drink cans away
from the engine compartment to reduce heat transfer when motoring.  I made
one error in my re-installation of the refrigeration unit when I installed
the evaporator plate in the same corner were the drain hole is and on
occasion it has frozen over the hole allowing water to build up._Over the
years since, I have timed the on/off cycle and have an average of on 5
mins, off 12-15 mins depending on loading and ambient temperature I have
also found that with a block of ice in box box I can switch off the
refrigeration at night and only have the temp rise 1-2 deg how this would
work in warmer climates I don't know.  Remember that with refrigeration
you need a larger battery system and alternator recharging system to
complement the extra power usage.

I hope this helps

John Boor