[Public-list] Ethanol Issues and Gas Cap Reminder

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Mon Sep 11 05:56:17 PDT 2006

We had to pump about 13 gallons of gas out of our tank this spring due
to water infiltration into the ethanol blend.  It came out with big grey
globules of what appeared to be the separated water.  What a mess.  I
will do anything within reason to avoid having to do that again.  I know
of another (non-Alberg) boat that had bad water infiltration issues over
the winter because of snow collecting on the decks and then seeping in
past the gas cap (which is probably what happened to ours as well).  His
turned out to be a missing O-Ring.  Don't forget to check any O-Rings
and liberally grease the threads of your gas cap before the winter, with
the new Ethanol blended gas, a little water in the tank is a much bigger
pain than it used to be.

Our tank is mostly empty at the moment, which sounds like the
appropriate condition for the winter, is there any recommended storage
procedure other than using StaBil or some other particular fuel
stabilizer?

Andrew
Andante - 152

>I don't think it affects polyethylene tanks; just polyester
>(fiberglass).  I don't think any Alberg 30's were made with fiberglass
>fuel tanks.

>It will, however, absorb water from the air and can then separate from
>the gasoline.  I think the recommendations are to winter with the tank
>empty rather than topped off.

>  - George

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.