[Public-list] lazy jacks

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:11:11 PDT 2006

Does anybody reading this list use lazy jacks? Any discussion for or
against?

The only real downside I can see is windage. I think I have a pretty good
plan for installing a system which will be deployed only when lowering the
sail, so it should not cause chafe on the sail, get snagged during gybes or
raising the sail, require modification to the cover, or present excessive
windage (it will normally store next to the mast on reef hooks at the
gooseneck while sailing).

Lowering the sail and keeping it captive on the boom for flaking is a pretty
big problem for me while sailing shorthanded and it appears that using lazy
jacks would be a relatively inexpensive and simple way to alleviate the
difficulty of doing this with only 2 people on board.

Thoughts?

J Bergquist