[Public-list] Ethanol Issues and Gas Cap Reminder

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:45:21 PDT 2006

Actually, for a vented tank, the water is absorbed by the ethanol in the gas
and as it gets absorbed the pressure of water vapor over the fuel goes down
and more water vapor can diffuse into the gas space above the fuel surface
through the vent.

Bottom line is that a vented tank is not a closed system, so there is no air
'trapped' in the system - the vent is open to the atmosphere.

So it may be possible for water to enter the system through the vent (as
water vapor) via diffusive gas exchange with the open atmosphere.

I have no idea whether or not this would allow sufficient water to be soaked
up by the ethanol in the gas to cause significant problems. Andrew, how full
was your tank last winter when you left it with the ethanol blended gas?

JB