[Public-list] lazy jacks

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 13 07:42:12 PDT 2006

On Sunstone we have Lazy Jacks, instead of installing scalp removing metal
attachment points on the boom we - elected to run a light line, the dia of
the Jacks from boom end to gooseneck is the same as the rest of the jack
lines and put 4 loops in it so the vertical jacklines run through them up to
blocks above the spreaders. The main jack line runs back down to cleats on
the mast. This allows us to ease the jacks and run them parallel to the boom
turning at 90 degrees at the goose neck when not in use to improve air flow
when racing. The advantage of running an attachment line with loops instead
of hard fittings is that you can easily move the loops for better
positioning, requires no holes in the boom and no fittings to scalp you.

The boom attachment line is put under high tension so that it doesn't sag
and strangle you.

Works well.

We also use Hoyt Allen bullet blocks to run the line through on the
verticals to the common line to the upper mast blocks. They are plastic and
are referred to as laser blocks. Got a great deal on them in Kingston @
C.O.R.K. a few years ago.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,