[Public-list] A few rookie questions

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Mon Sep 18 07:41:23 PDT 2006

> This site has been a very helpful resources and want to thank the people
> on
> it and those who manage it.
>
> Being very new to the Alberg 30,  I have a few rookie questions.
>
> First of all, where does the water go that goes down the drains in the
> outside of the cabin?  In the bilge?

> The deck drains connect into the cockpit drains and exit below the water
line.  This would indicate to me that you have a hose leak at least
above the water line (thank goodness).  Have this checked out right
away.  Also check for ingress of water through vent openings and anchor
or hawser openings.

> Recently heavy rains overcame my bilge I suspect and then overcame the
> batteries and flooded the cabin up to an inch.  I had it pumped all out
> and then tried to use the manual bilge but could not seem to get it to
work...
> Is the re a valve, a prime needed of sorts to get that thing to work?

> All bilge pumps should be self priming again check to see if there is an
air leak in the pump or a flapper valve not seating correctly or a
pluged line  into the pump or the exit hose from the pump.

> Is there anything else I need to worry about since it flooded so high?
>
> Apparently the batteries now are shot and the cables fried.
>
>Jhon Boor
MAHSEER #380