[Public-list] A few rookie questions

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Sep 18 11:44:23 PDT 2006

Lloyd -

The drains in the cockpit sole are connected to large hoses, then to
through-hulls near the engine. These are critical safety items as they
drain the cockpit of "green water" . A full cockpit reduces the
stability of the boat and increases capsize risk. It's always worth
inspecting them and making sure they are secure and clear.

The seats and the cooler lid (if you have one) have drains in the
gutters where the lids sit. These are connected by small hoses to the
cockpit, so they normally drain to the through-hulls, not the bilge.  If
these hoses clog up the overflow will can go into the cockpit locker and
thence to the bilge.  Pour water into the drains at the corner or the
seats and see if it overflows or comes out in the cockpit. Look for the
hoses in the seat lockers and see that they are connected. In my boat
the cooler cover drain tees into the port seat locker drain.

Mike

Mike Meinhold / Rinn Duin #272