[Public-list] Hull ID Number

victoria youngaitis vickyyoungaitis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 23:47:00 PDT 2006

Hi, nice Alberg 30 folks!
I forgot how to start an original thread, so I'm jumping in here.  Every so
often I stop work on my boats and log on, and find my mail box full of pages
upon pages  of your messages!  So much helpful info. with a few good laughs
thrown in!
Well, I got the 1939 wooden Alden in the water (I named her H.M.S. Frisky,
after the boat in "The Grey Seas Under", by Farley Mowat), put the outboard
on, and motored to the N. shore of L.I., running before Ernesto.  As it
happens, the boat, sans inboard motor and rigging, was so light, she sat
about a foot higher than her original bootstripe.  Despite lead weights,
some car flywheels, and 10 gals. of water put up in her bow, she still was a
bit tender and had a consistent roll in the rough water.  But, I got used to
it, she tracked beautifully, and was surprisingly fast for a 29' full-keel
boat being pushed by a 9.9.  (I hit 9.4 knots going up the East River with
the current!)

Anyway, the real reason for this message is a request for assistance from
all you bright, knowledgeable folks:

What is a NA/LA?

Now that my '39 boat is safely in her slip, and while my dismasted Whitby
sits sadly at her mooring, I've gone back to work on my 1945 NA/LA.  She's a
32' fiberglassed-over-wood very strongly-and -heavily-built cutter, that I
rescued.  Her name is Antonina. The only information I have on her make or
model, is the abbreviation that NY's DMV used:  NA/LA, on the registration.
I've tried contacting the DMV, (and may try, again) but so far, even they
don't know what it stands for!   If anyone wants to see pictures, I can send
them, but I can't get a full view of the hull because of the proximity to
other boats in the yard.

If anyone even wants to guess at it, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks, again, for the information and entertainment you all provide.

Vicky