[Public-list] weight distribution and electric power

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu Sep 28 07:57:44 PDT 2006

Dan,

Electric sounds way cool; quiet, no smell.  Are you planning on an internal
motor or an outboard?  Please document the project and report on the
results.

Relative to weight, doesn't the Atomic 4 weigh about 320 pounds, plus
another 70 or so for fuel and 50 for existing batteries?  That leaves 170
pounds net for the electric motor and all that crazy electronic circuitry.
Might be about a wash weight-wise.

Relative to weight distribution, aren't the gas/diesel motors mounted pretty
high (bottom above the cabin sole) while internal electric motors are pretty
much in line with the prop shaft.  I think more useable space for batteries
can be had under the cabin sole by making larger hatch openings and
modifying the "bulkheads" separating the compartments (seem to recall
someone on the page mentioning he had done that and had photos).  Don't know
if there would be enough space there for all the batteries but, even if a
few have to go under the main cabin bunks or galley base, net weight
distribution would probably be lower and further forward than the original
A4 solution.  Some on The Page have opined that A30s tend to "squat," so
weight a little further forward might be desirable.  If you use an outboard,
net fore/aft weight distribution might be a wash if the batteries go forward
of the cockpit.

I did some preliminary investigation multiple moons ago and seem to recall
that a burst of power can be had at the expense of substantial battery drain
but sustained cursing speed is lower unless many batteries or a substantial
generator are part of the package.  What are the specifics of your proposed
system?

Roger Kingsland
Managing Partner
KSBA Architects