[Public-list] weight distribution and electric power

isobar isobar at bcpl.net
Fri Sep 29 12:57:33 PDT 2006

>===== Original Message From dan walker <dsailormon at yahoo.com> =====
>  i was told i can motor 25 to 50 mile before empty. supposedly th batts will
recharge as i sail. the system has "smart" chargers that i am to plug in while
at the dock. i wont know until next springs sea trials how well any of this
works. the owner of the company is an electrical engineer and a horrible
salesman. that helped a lot in my decision to give the asmo a try. will report
in---good or bad when i REALLY know the answers from experience

=====

Dan
 Maybe the owner is vague not because he’s a bad salesman, but because
he’s a good one.

25 to 50 miles isn’t clear unless you know the boat speed. Remember that
pre-nuclear submarines could travel  for over a day at 2 knots on battery, but
only about half an hour at 18 knots. Your range is strictly governed by motor
current draw at various loads,  and your  engineer/salesman should be able to
give you a graph of that.

Take some back of the envelope calculations: How much energy does it take to
push an Alberg thru the water at 5 knots? Guess 8 HP minimum – think of a 9.9
HP outboard bolted to the transom. – someplace in that ballpark. That’s 6
kilowatts or 6000 watts. With a 48 volt system (same energy as for a 12 V
system), that’s a 125 amp current draw.

If your regenerative braking prop gives back 1 amp @ 48 Volts while dragging
thru the water at an average 4 knot sailing speed (Generous estimate), then
the 125/1 ratio means you’d have to sail for 125 hours to recharge 1 hour of
motoring.

If you have a 25 mile range at 5 knots under power, that’s 25 miles/ 5 mph = 5
hours X  125 amps = 625 amp-hours worth of battery capacity you’d need on the
boat. How much does that weigh? I don’t know about the capacity of 48V
batteries, but that’s the equivalent of  over 25 Deep-discharge 12V batteries.

All the above is guesswork, and I could very well be wrong, but you might ask
the questions.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181