[Public-list] Lifelines

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 05:36:54 PDT 2007

On Emotional Rescue #303, we have been placing the lifeline outboard of the shrouds.This causes abrasion of the vinyl coating where it touches the shroud wire. We sail in fresh water; I inspect the lifeline and shroud wires every year with a magnifying glass;other than the vinyl coating, there is no damage.

  Although having the lifeline outboard gives us more space on deck, we do not get the advantage of having the shroud helping to brace the lifeline against horizontal forces. Do others place the lifelines inboard or outboard of the shrouds?

  Thanks, Ed. Schroeder