[Public-list] Deck/hull joint - Toe Rail - ETC

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 14:20:00 PDT 2007

Hello -

  Finally, we are having fair weather in the Great Northeast which has prompted me to unwrap Caprice #388 circa 1969 and start on the projects.  The old gal has been leaking a great deal from above so I've decided to tackle rebedding the hull/deck joint.  Along with this project, I'm replacing the teak toe rail and the wooden piece of teak at the stern.  Also, I may end up rebedding all of the stanchions as well.   I have some questions and I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts about this.

  1. I've read that rebedding the hull/deck joint with 5200 is the most appropriate.  Any other thoughts?  Would this work for the chainplates and screws?

  2. The toe rails came off very easily.  I just popped the bungs and unscrewed what looked liked tapping screws.  I've epoxied the screw holes on the boat.  The new rails I intend to install the same way and I'll just redrill the holes. Does this need bedding as well and if so, should I seal the whole length or just where the screws are?  What type of sealant?

  3.  Toe rails replacements - Any tricks to bending the wood to the curve of the hull?

  4. Is it worth removing the anchor pulpit thing and rebedding it?

  5. Any tricks to removing and rebedding the genoa track?

  Any thoughts, guidence or beer will be much appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Bobby