[Public-list] ToeRail

Victoria Chew victoria_g_chew at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:38:37 PDT 2007

   Bobby,
   We've just begun tackling the same project on Osprey (#171) here in
   Rhode Island.  While living aboard over this past winter we noticed
   more water than could be attributed to the usual condensation and
   identified the teak toerail as the culprit.  This past week we removed
   the teak rubrail which had been installed by the previous owner, which
   had created a drainage problem on deck and led the teak torail to
   rot.  We had planned to take the toerail off, varnish and rebed.
   Simple enough!  Upon seeing how bad the teak was rotting, we opted to
   take it off and replace with an aluminum toerail.  We don't have the
   time at our disposal to install a new teak toerail, so this looked to
   be our best solution.  We have also removed all of our deck hardware
   to sand and Awlgrip the decks and replace the nonskid.  The genoa
   track was very easy to remove on Osprey, we had one person hold a
   flathead screwdriver on deck and someone went below with a ratchet and
   loosened the nut.  We used the same technique for the stanchions,
   which we found to also be leaking!  We are trying to keep updated
   photos of our current projects on our website, [1]www.svosprey.com
   (click on the "blog" and there is a link to the right for the photo
   gallery), though we aren't spending as much time on the website as we
   are in the boatyard!
   Best of luck,
   Tory

   [2]The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by
   Experian.