[Public-list] Roller-reefer question

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:11:32 PDT 2007

I have profurl. It has a halyard wrap preventer designed in the system so I did not have to add anyhthing. I did replace the head stay as it was  30 ++ years old at the time. My mast head had already been upgraded with Stephen Sousa's system. The profurl system has worked perfectly.

My previous boat had an older harken system and i had to add a halyard restrainer (p. 1148 in the current West Marine catalogue).  Harken has two size restrainers depending ont the unit you have. A friend is adding one to his harken system this spring at my suggestion. He did not add it last year and had some problems. Once fixed the Harken system also performed perfectly.

>>> <FINNUS505 at aol.com> 04/04/07 4:27 PM >>>
Hello my fellow Albergers,

When you installed your roller-reefing gear, did you use the existing
masthead fitting and block for the jib halyard, or were changes necessary to  make
sure the angle between the jib halyard and the forstay was sufficient to
prevent halyard wraps?

Thx,
Lee
Stargazer #255