[Public-list] Dripless Bearing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Apr 8 14:33:33 PDT 2007

Peter Manika wrote:
> I am having a new cutless bearing put in at my boatyard. I thought
> this is a good time to also have a dripless bearing replace the
> stuffing box. My boatyard states that the isn't enough projection on
> the stern tube to do this. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Pete, I know many people like the mechanical seals, but I've heard a
couple of bad stories.  I went with the Drip Less packing for the
standard stuffing box.  (see
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/)  This
allows you to tighten the stuffing box so it doesn't drip, but also
doesn't wear out the shaft.  I've had this in for 4 or 5 years without
any problems, and Gilleleje has used it longer than that.  There was
enough to do both the prop shaft and rudder post stuffing boxes.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash