[Public-list] Dripless Bearing

Peter Manika pmanika at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 9 15:46:04 PDT 2007

George, thanks for the info. Am I understanding you correctly that you don't care for the dripless bearing? Also, how do you do the rudder post?
  Pete #154

George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
  Peter Manika wrote:
> I am having a new cutless bearing put in at my boatyard. I thought
> this is a good time to also have a dripless bearing replace the
> stuffing box. My boatyard states that the isn't enough projection on
> the stern tube to do this. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Pete, I know many people like the mechanical seals, but I've heard a
couple of bad stories. I went with the Drip Less packing for the
standard stuffing box. (see
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/) This
allows you to tighten the stuffing box so it doesn't drip, but also
doesn't wear out the shaft. I've had this in for 4 or 5 years without
any problems, and Gilleleje has used it longer than that. There was
enough to do both the prop shaft and rudder post stuffing boxes.

- George

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash