[Public-list] Deck/hull joint - Toe Rail - ETC

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Apr 30 07:00:06 PDT 2007

Bobby wrote:
> Yes, the fiberglass is higher where the genoa track is located.
>
> I'm almost done removing the all the bolts for the deck/hull joint
> and stanchions.  I was happy to confirm that the stanchion bolts are
> not in the core.

Those boats are probably the best of all.  I understand that not many
were made before the molds were lost to fire.  I know that Skimmer,
#371, is a transition boat.  So at least #371-388 are of this type.

When they remade the molds for the new boats, they simplified things
quite a bit, presumably to make them quicker and cheaper to build.  Not
only did they remove that fiberglass step under the genoa track, but
they also ran the balsa out to the edges, including under the stanchions.

> I noticed that at the bulkheads, the deck is glassed to the
> bulkheads.  Will this present a problem in prying apart the joint or
> will the deck move a bit to get access?  Is there a good way to pry
> it apart?  Also, does anyone have recommendation on how to remove the
> sealant between the joint?

The hull-deck joint is made with resin.  If it's still intact, I
wouldn't pry it apart.

I had one place on the transom where that resin had cracked and might
not have been sealing all the way through.  I stuck a screwdriver in and
scraped out as much useless resin as possible before squirting in 5200.
  Where the bond was good, I left it alone.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash