[Public-List] Plastimo water tanks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Aug 23 20:36:43 PDT 2007

The Rochets wrote:
> We bought our boat three months ago and we don't feel we should drink
> the water. It tastes awful. I checked the inside of the tank and it
> doesn't look particularly dirty. We think the aluminium top is
> probably responsible for the bad taste. We are aware of how you
> solved the problem, Mike, and we may end up doing the same thing (by
> the way thank you for the various posts in which you described how
> you did it-very helpful). I am just exploring another possibility.
> What I view as a possible advantage of the Plastimo flexible tanks is
> the fact that you can remove the inner bag for cleaning.  That sounds
> easier than cleaning the water tank through an inspection plate. This
> being said, I like the design and the location of the existing tank.
> I just want to make sure that the water in it is safe to drink.

Get a charcoal filter (what they call a "whole house water filter", like
http://www.mainstsupply.com/images/400/M52978c.jpg) and the water will
taste fine.  The aluminum oxide won't hurt you, but it makes lousy
coffee without the filter.  Add a little chlorox to the tank from time
to time to kill anything growing in it.  The charcoal will take out the
chlorine, also.

I've heard that the flexible bags chafe through in fairly short order.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash