[Public-List] insulation materials

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 3 10:59:02 PST 2007

Within the last 2 weeks, someone wanted to know about insulation
materials for refurbishing the cold/ice box. One would have to check the
fire regulations and I am sure the ABYC will not have it on their list
of approved materials unless it is within concrete hulls,   but the
thinnest insulation material that I have found, thanks to a landscape
architect that I know, is what is called Concrete Barrier Foil (from tvm
building materials if you want to google it), which had an R 10 rating
for about 3/8 of an inch thickness. It is basically foil backed bubble
wrap. It does come in a variety of formats and from several
manufacturers and suggests that it will reduce heat loss through a
concrete pad by 77%. That figure will be dependent upon the temperature
gradient across the pad and as the temperature gradient increases, the
barrier efficiency should become less. A second or third layer of heavy
aluminum foil on the motor side of the ice box should do more to stop
heat so that the bubble wrap does not melt. Just a thought for a new
product that might work. This is not an endorsement of the product nor a
recommendation that the product be used in an icebox refurbishing
situation, merely an information circular that notes the product.
Don