[Public-List] Upper Michigan Rendezvous, what to plan after the first snow fall

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 5 08:14:50 PST 2007

  Brian,

  Marvelous idea.  The Lorrie Rose might not be ready to sail this next season.  Need to do mast beam repair, new fuel tank, radio, compass, and rewiring, but a rendezvous cruise would be a great incentive. My more to Arcadia was to provide me a place to get the Alberg back together and do some sailing and cruising.  Lorrie said "do it now before you can't anymore", hummmmmmmmm cruising in the Alberg, that is.

  Below is a note that I sent to Dan and new member George.  Add Joe Traub to that and there are three more boats.  Joe sails out of Cheboygan, MI on Huron he would be the closest to you.  I'll bet that on the Great Lakes there are at least 100 Alberg 30's actively sailing.  It would be possible that 20 or so sail in upper Michigan waters. A rendezvous would be an attractive destination for a summer cruise.  I'll bet that over the next few years we could really get something going with the Alberger's in Northern waters.

  Arcadia is a designated "Safe Harbour" and as such is kept dredged by the U.S. Coast Guard, at least that was the plan until Michigan went bankrupt.  Alberger's could easily use Arcadia as a port on the way up to the Straits at Machinaw from lower Lake Michigan.

  I am sure that Gordon Laco has lots of ideas of places to rendezvous over on Lake Huron and Gerogian Bay as well.  What say you Gord?

  Hi Dan and George,

  I just noticed from the latest A 30 Mainsheet that George is a new member and also keeps his boat in South Haven, MI as does Dan.  Welcome George to the A-30 Family of sailors.

  Some years ago Dan, Joe Traub, and myself formed the Indianapolis, IN Alberg 30 Association, just for fun.  Well it stuck and we have become a loose, but well intended group.

  Anyway I suppose that we could extend our ranks to include Valparaiso, IN

  Hey guys, what do you think about changing our name to the Michigan Alberg 30 Sailing Association?  Since all of our boats will shortly be sailing in Michigan waters.  ;-)

  Michael Connolly #133