[Public-List] Alden 32 now upper Michigan Rendevous

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 07:15:13 PST 2007

hip estimate was what i wanted. and i do not believe in motoring except to and from my slip. so we all need  to set a date. like a fool i have committed to doing an alaska marathon for the leukemia lymphoma society(fundraising event if anyone wants to contribute to a great cause) so i would not be able to do this trip until july or august.assuming i don't die doing 26.2 miles on foot. that may be better time due to the cold north anyway.
dan
rascal 145

Michael Connolly <crufone at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Dan and Brian,

  Charts will tell you but my estimate would be 280 miles to Mackinaw from South Haven, then 55 to Detour Village, MI and another 35 to Hilton Beach, ON and 10 more to Thessalon, ON.  So 380 to 400.  These are shot from the hip estimates.

  People on this list could provide some kind of average for daily "distance made good" for cruising an Alberg 30 during daylight hours. At 30 miles per day this round trip would take 26 days!  Kinda discouraging.  But speed to destination is not the point when cruising, right?

  I recall one Alberg taking 120 hours to travel 240 miles which is about 2 mph distance made good.  If one sailed at 2 mph for 8 hours = 16 miles made good per day then the above trip would take about 49 days!  I would say this would be the worst case scenario, wouldn't you John?   ;-)

  Brian, probably has a better idea about the mileages and distance that could be sailed each day because these are his home waters.

  Dan, in a nutshell I would not allow less that two weeks for this trip.  One can always motor/sail yuck! to make up some time.   Dan you could leave the boat in Arcadia if you ran out of time on the way back.

  Others should comment because my cruising experience is limited.

  Michael

dan walker  wrote:
  michael, joe et al,
if i sail north maybe with joe traub(captain o) pick up michael(indy alberg 30 commodore) in arcadia then head to the u.p,or hilton,thessalon, how far we talkin? ya see talkin is how we southerners would say it. not being a yuper
dan

Mark Bisset wrote: Gord, that would be very cool.
Mark