[Public-List] Alden 32 now upper Michigan Rendevous

Brian Zinser bzinser at lssu.edu
Fri Dec 7 07:19:08 PST 2007

Michael, Dan, Joe, et al

I would get a good crew (Michael) and try to sail from South Haven to
Charlevoix or Harbor Springs without stopping.  I suspect it would take
about 2-3 days on average to complete. From that point, take a day to go
to the Island.  It would then be an easy day to Hilton Beach, or you
could make a stop at DeTour Village or Drummond Island and then come on
up.

If we decided to do it in the Straits area (St. Ignace or Cheboygan), it
would probably save you 1-2 days each way.

One problem with coming into Canadian waters is that on the way home you
will have to make a *stop* at Drummond Island Yacht Haven to clear back
into US.
Unfortunately, there is this perception by our government that all the
terrorists are in Canada and that they may use pleasure boats to enter
the US.

Entering Canadian waters is very easy.  When to arrive at a port of
entry, you pick up the telephone and dial an 800 number.  They give you
a number that you post on your boat.  A customs officer may show up at
the marina while you are there and the may board your boat and ask a few
questions.

I would be available to help crew if you need someone.

Brian