[Public-List] Looking for a used Atmoic 4

Elaine & Brian Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Fri Dec 28 03:20:24 PST 2007

  Besides the already mentioned damage, that would be costly to repair, how
thick is the top of the block where the studs go through?
  If this has been a saltwater cooled engine all of it's life, the corrosion
inside the water jacket is of primary concern. There may not be enough wall
thickness left to make repairs resonably.
  If anyone has older information from a Moyer Marine class or newsletter
collection, he mentions a cut off point as far as rebuildability is
concerned. (it might be on his web pages as well) It is measured by the
amount of threads remaining in the holes for the head studs. It has been
about 10 years since I removed a head on an A4 for major cleaning and
checking in my exA30, so I'm not sure of the exact measurement. It's almost
6 years since I sold my A30 and bought a boat that has a 4-108 diesel, so I
don't have easy, quick, access to my old notes. It's an easy chheck to make
and worth the time to see if it's even reasonable to consider repairs.
Regards & Season's Greetings,
Brian
ex#497