[Public-list] Motor/shaft coupling alignment

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 3 05:45:37 PST 2007

Hello C.B. and Don,

  I would like to amplify the notion that any time spent on getting the most perfect alignment will pay back ten times the dividends down the road, or on the sea, as it were.

  I worked for a number of years in a former life as a 'millwright'.  Alignment of shaft couplings was paramount to having the power driven equipment run longer and with less vibration.

  I was thinking of designing a set of mounts that would have screw thread adjusters on them.  The forward mounts would adjust from side to side and the rear up and down.  This way one could more easily and also more frequently make the fine adjustments to help keep things working smoothly.

  Question is I don't know if there is room to place such a mount.  Many boats have never had the mounts adjusted since the factory installation.  My grey marine is on the original mounts and runs pretty smooth, though I suspect that it could be made better.

  I was also amazed that there is very little dampening or cushioning between the hull and the motor mount.  What I have observed is something like a 1/4" piece of rubber and some metal shims on either side of the rubber.  Any further thoughs from others on this?

  Michael