[Public-list] Hull-deck joint construction, pre-liner.

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sun Feb 18 12:53:24 PST 2007

Hi folks,

I'd like to know exactly how the hull-deck joint is constructed on the
pre-liner boats. What are the shapes of the hull and deck molding in
that area, how are they held together (besides the obvious toe-rail
bolts), etc.

I searched the archives and did find a few threads where people started
asking about this, but they morphed into discussions of the pop-rivet
and cap on the liner boats before anyone talked too much about the
pre-liner set-up.

I noted that one person had taken off the toe-rail and glassed over (?)
the joint, then moved the toe-rail up onto brackets, a la Hal and
Margaret Roth (so perhaps he's seen how it's all done), but I forget
what boat that was now.

Does anyone know for sure, and/or is there a sketch anywhere?

Also, there is a section of photos on the hull-deck joint on the A-30
page, but I can't really tell what I'm looking at there; i.e. which way
is up, and which era of boat is involved.

Thanks ahead,

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221