[Public-list] Hull-deck joint construction, pre-liner & post liner

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 18 13:17:02 PST 2007

It is an L flange hull with straight deck over top with a butal gasket
through bolted through a teak toerail on 4" centres. The coring stops before
the stanchion bases which are drilled through solid glass. Most had open
taffrails though many had closed ones too. On the pre 1968 boats the coring
material is 2 layers of 1/4"pegboard masonite -glass, masonite glass
masonite glass gelcoat. These decks are virtually bullet proof and have had
few problems with rot or delamination. Any delamination is usually found on
the cockpit sole from people dropping off the seat lockers heavily over time
as opposed to stepping down gently. There was no deck drain, rather they
used toerail scuppers for drainage.

The brigdedeck had a top loading, though the BD ice locker hatch and front
opening interior ice locker which was later discontinued in later models and
the cooler completely redesigned to an internal top loader. All bulkheads
were tapped and tabbed to the hull, with no liner.

1969 Boats had a hybrid deck which used a spacer on the hull to compensate
for the height difference and the latter hull lay-up which was a raised L
with the newer deck flange which is pop riveted except for the Genoa track
which is through bolted. By 1969 - the boats had the current  balsa core
type construction which terminated out side the inner stanchion base bolt
holes.

By the early 1970's the current  balsa core type construction which
terminated inside the inner stanchion base bolt holes. It has the newer
reverse flange shearclamp. This has caused some problems with water ingress
and core issues when the sealant is not looked after. The interior glass
liner was added.

In reality there were 3 versions which should really be referred to Mk 1, 2,
3 - but unfortunately, unlike the A-37s is not - it would be easier for
people to figure them out.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,

John