[Public-list] Hull/Deck Joint

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 4 06:34:41 PST 2007

Brennan,
  I would take the toe rail off and use the original bolt/rivet holes to clamp the pieces together.  Coat the bolts with a release agent so you can remove them easily after the Epoxy has set.  You may also want to bolt thru short pieces of Aluminum or 1" thick wood on either side to more evenly distribute the clamping pressure from the bolts.  Working a short section, let's say two feet, at a time you should be able to get a good contact between the pieces.  Remember that Epoxy works best as a thin film adhesive not a large gap filler.

  I don't know how you could use C-clamps in this instance for clamping pressure.

  If this is Patty J's old boat the toe rail may already be off in the areas you need to repair.

  My 2 cents worth.

  Michael

brennan carney <stratman202 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I am about ot undertake the daunting task of repairing my new Albreg's Hull to deck joint. C Clamps and epoxy seem to be the tools of the day, and any advice would be wholly appreciated.

Fair winds,
Brennan Carney
Timbuktu