[Public-list] Hull/Deck Joint

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sun Feb 4 07:12:18 PST 2007

Hi Brennan,

I think your boat is the 2nd type, so the toe-rail is different than on
my boat and I can't really visualize it.  But I wanted to comment on
one of MIchael's comments:

On Feb 4, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Michael Connolly wrote:
>  Remember that Epoxy works best as a thin film adhesive not a large
> gap filler.

I would actually say that it's the opposite.  Not that unfilled epoxy
can't be spread thinly, but if it's too thin it won't tend to bond
super well.  (I wonder if you were thinking of resorcinol which
requires very tight joints).  Especially if thickened (with Cabosil
and/or other things), epoxy is a great gap filler and will be very
strong that way.  Obviously, you can't span great, 3" gaps with it in
this case, but clamping and squeezing it all out would not be good
either.

Whether you go with WEST System epoxy or another brand, their free book
is a must-have, and details which products and filler mixes to use for
what.  You can "translate" virtually all of their product
identifications into generic types if you use another brand (not that
you shouldn't use WEST, but just in case).

FWIW,

--- Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221