[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Feb 5 08:45:11 PST 2007

Hi Mark -

I will show you what we have done with Surprise when we meet at the yard
(some time soon I hope)

Our game plan is to remove the genny from the furler and run up a high
clewed jib that I had cut down and fitted with a luff tape for that purpose.
I don't use the furler for anything other than storing the sail - despite
what manufacturers claim about 'reefing'.

I have another jib that is smaller yet that has a wire luff.  We shackle
that to the bow plate and haul it aloft on the block normally used for the
spinnaker pole topping lift.  I fitted a block and a hanger for it much
heavier that required so that it could do double duty as a storm jib halyard
- works well.  We like the wire luff because the sail comes with its own
stay to be flown from... And there is nothing there when we are not using
that sail.

In order to avoid having to fit running backstays I set the block not too
far above the spreaders so that the aft lowers would provide enough
opposition.

Gord #426 Surprise