[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Mark Bisset mbisset at orilliapacket.com
Mon Feb 5 08:35:25 PST 2007

I'm looking for some wisdom on installing a detachable inner forestay.
Last summer we tested the limits of our genoa on furling in a fairly
big blow. Trying to beat with a storm-sized section out left us
frustrated and did some damage to the sail in short order. I have a
hank-on storm jib, but no way of attaching it due to the furling.
Here's what I am considering: creating a detachable forestay to run to
the bow in such conditions. When it isn't in use, it could be detached
and tied off. Has anyone created such a system? If so, how was it
attached at the masthead? Does it require a matching backstay (I'm
thinking no)? Are there better alternatives to consider?

Mark Bisset,
Wanderlove # 578