[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Feb 5 11:43:01 PST 2007

Mark

I thought of a couple of things that might have merit.

Option One

If luff tape were added to the storm jib, you could use it in storm
conditions - assuming you had the time and opportunity to change down
ahead of heavy weather. I have a 110 jib and have found that it is not
too difficult change from the Genoa to the 110.

Option Two.

As to a removable for stay, it sounds like you are thinking of
attaching the lower end of the stay to one of the holes in the stem head
and attaching the upper end not too far below the mast head. The result
would be something very like a solent rig. Based on information I found
on the web I think may/probably would not need running back stays.
Rigging Only sells suitable fitting for attaching the upper end to the
mast. I think Dyer Aluminum Mast Co. used to make fitting for this as
well but I could not find the fitting on the Web when I looked. With
this set up you could use your storm jib without modifying it.

I am curious if others have created a solent rig or what they might
think of this idea. I once looked into a staysail but that all the
suggestions suggested that running backstays were necessary for what was
discussed at that time.

David, 432.

 11:35 AM >>>
I'm looking for some wisdom on installing a detachable inner forestay.
Last summer we tested the limits of our genoa on furling in a fairly
big blow. Trying to beat with a storm-sized section out left us
frustrated and did some damage to the sail in short order. I have a
hank-on storm jib, but no way of attaching it due to the furling.
Here's what I am considering: creating a detachable forestay to run to

the bow in such conditions. When it isn't in use, it could be detached

and tied off. Has anyone created such a system? If so, how was it
attached at the masthead? Does it require a matching backstay (I'm
thinking no)? Are there better alternatives to consider?

Mark Bisset,
Wanderlove # 578