[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Feb 5 11:59:49 PST 2007

Interesting stuff, David.

I am not fond of the 'Solent Rig' because it does not result in any dramatic
reduction in the height of the storm sail's centre of area, nor does it move
it aft much.  I know those rigs are all the fashion in some circles but I am
not fond of them.  We put our block hanger about 3 or 4 feet above the
spreaders and used off the shelf chainplate straps.  A long one was tapped
and bolted to the face of the mast, with the couple of inches bent out to
accept the block shackle.  Just above where the chainplate strap leaves the
mast I riveted two more at 90 degrees to provide lateral support for the
last fastenings.

The result is a sail that has a dramatically lower centre of effort, and
whose area is somewhat aft of what it would be if it were on the forestay.

I kicked around the idea of an eye in the foredeck so that I could move the
tack aft...but there seemed no easy way of anchoring that securely.  Last
time this went around the list I described how I looked at anchoring the eye
to the light anchor locker bulkhead (not much strength there) and better -
running a rod from the deck eye to a bolt fitted right through the stem.
That would have worked but seemed a big job just to get the tack aft a
couple of feet.

Gord
Surprise #426