[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Feb 5 13:37:29 PST 2007

I put a shackle in the tack of the sail and that is what I snap onto the
jackline between the cleats. (that gets it back far enough from the bow so
that it does not foul the furler drum).

I made the jack line of dacron 3/4" red braided rope with the core stripped
out.  In effect what I did was make my own webbing but of material that is
unaffected (mostly) by UV.  Nothing else in the rig is red, and since it is
flat it won't roll underfoot and feels different than anything else - no
errors clipping on in the dark.  And of course dacron has less stretch in it
than nylon webbing.

We tension the staysail halyard using the halyard winch on the port side of
the mast.  We fitted a cleat above the winch.  The two jenny halyards and
the spinnaker halyard also use this winch, but because they also cleat above
the winch, the device is always available.