[Public-list] detachable inner forestay

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:47:38 PST 2007

I think I get it. You have a staysail but not a forestay to hank it
onto. the sail probably has a wire in it that does the same duty as the
forestay ... and halyard tension does the rest if the job. I was
thinking of the approach in which one has a forestay onto which one
hanks ones stay sail.

>>> Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> 2/5/2007 4:37 PM >>>
I put a shackle in the tack of the sail and that is what I snap onto
the
jackline between the cleats. (that gets it back far enough from the bow
so
that it does not foul the furler drum).

I made the jack line of dacron 3/4" red braided rope with the core
stripped
out.  In effect what I did was make my own webbing but of material that
is
unaffected (mostly) by UV.  Nothing else in the rig is red, and since
it is
flat it won't roll underfoot and feels different than anything else -
no
errors clipping on in the dark.  And of course dacron has less stretch
in it
than nylon webbing.

We tension the staysail halyard using the halyard winch on the port
side of
the mast.  We fitted a cleat above the winch.  The two jenny halyards
and
the spinnaker halyard also use this winch, but because they also cleat
above
the winch, the device is always available.