[Public-list] Dripless bearing

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 10 08:04:47 PST 2007

I think what Don is saying is that you don't want the stern tube to rotate
when you unscrew the external cutlass bearing flange from the stern tube -
this is a two person operation, one person needs to be inside using padded
monkey wrenches so as to not damage the bronze stern tube one has to hold
the tube with the wrench to prevent it from rotating. If it rotates you will
need to remove the tube and clean out the old Doflinite and replace it with
5200 or 4200. If you  rotate it a little and try to relaunch without
resealing it will leak around the tube. If you are careful in the removal
process you won't need to do a reseal of the tube.

The second person out side will use a padded monkey wrench to unscrew the
cutlass flange from the tube (they are threaded together). Fist you need to
remove the large bronze bolts, one top, one bottom which go through the
external cutlass housing flange into the fibreglass deadwood of the boat.

Once the flange hosing is off, take it to a machine shop and get the old
cutlass bearing removed - they have the right equipment and it really isn't
worth the time and effort to try to remove the old bearing yourself. When I
did mine it cost $35 to remove and press in an new bearing, about half the
cost of the Iso cutlass bearing its self.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal with the same considerations on keeping
the stern tube from rotating.

Use lots of caulking and all will be well.

Either the prop or the prop shaft will need to have been removed to make the
change out.

If removing the shaft make sure the counterset shaft holes are lined up with
the engine coupling flange so that the screw bolts can enter partway into
the shaft to prevent the shaft from pulling out in reverse. These are
usually square bolts with a hole drilled in them for a keeper wire to pass
through to prevent the bolts from unscrewing themselves and letting the
shaft get loose. It is important to secure the wire around the engine flange
and mouse it tight.

An additional step I take is to put a hose clamp on the shaft about 3/4"
away from the stuffing box inside the boat so if the shaft ever uncouples
the hose clamp will hit the stuffing box and prevent the shaft from exiting
the boat or the prop from hitting and damaging or jamming the rudder. That
was a tip from Harry Grigat - good idea.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,

John