[Public-list] Rot in bulkheads beneath chainplates

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Feb 18 10:15:37 PST 2007

Alexei Kassatkin wrote:
> When rot is encountered in the forward bulkheads, can it be repaired in
> place with a substance like Abatron and oversized steel backing plates,
> or should they be removed and repaired, or replaced?  If the later is
> the case, has anyone done a write-up on, or photographed the process
> the removal of same?  All input is greatly appreciated.

I don't know that anyone has documented replacing a bulkhead, but
several boats have done so.  I would be wary of half-way repairs in this
area.  Pulling out a shroud can ruin your whole day.

> I removed the chainplates on #455 and found active wet rot localized in
> the area of the bolt holes.  I haven't probed further, but am concerned
> that the ply in the bulkhead below may have been compromised.  The
> damage was apparently caused by years of neglect in caulking the risers
> on deck.  There is discoloration along the outside perimeter of the the
> forward bulkheads where they join the hull, though no apparent active
> rot, or moisture.  I noted also that what appears to have been plywood
> in the forward knees has disintegrated leaving an empty pocket.  We've
> had some pretty heavy rainstorms lately here in Northern California,
> that have let up over the last couple of days.  However, moisture
> continues to weep through the fiberglass beneath the forward knee.

The problem with rot is that it often has spread further than is
immediately visible.  Glassing in new knees should be relatively
straightforward.  You might want to make them longer, at the same time,
to spread the load over a larger contact with the hull.  Be sure to make
the knees butt tightly against the underside of the deck.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash