[Public-list] Rot in bulkheads beneath chainplates

Alexei Kassatkin kasatka1 at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 17 07:35:28 PST 2007

When rot is encountered in the forward bulkheads, can it be repaired in
place with a substance like Abatron and oversized steel backing plates,
or should they be removed and repaired, or replaced?  If the later is
the case, has anyone done a write-up on, or photographed the process
the removal of same?  All input is greatly appreciated.

I removed the chainplates on #455 and found active wet rot localized in
the area of the bolt holes.  I haven't probed further, but am concerned
that the ply in the bulkhead below may have been compromised.  The
damage was apparently caused by years of neglect in caulking the risers
on deck.  There is discoloration along the outside perimeter of the the
forward bulkheads where they join the hull, though no apparent active
rot, or moisture.  I noted also that what appears to have been plywood
in the forward knees has disintegrated leaving an empty pocket.  We've
had some pretty heavy rainstorms lately here in Northern California,
that have let up over the last couple of days.  However, moisture
continues to weep through the fiberglass beneath the forward knee.