[Public-list] Bronze NPS thread pipe cap source?

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 05:18:12 PST 2007

I have another idea. Is the boat out of the water?  Clean the thru hull and plug with epoxy putty from the outside.  Put in some backing material, Okum or such, and then use putty for the outside 1" or so.  This could later be drilled out down to the softer backing material if you want to reuse the thru hull in the future.

Rachel <penokee at cheqnet.net> wrote:  Howdy Albergers,

I've got a few through-hulls that are backed with either gate valves or
ball valves that don't overly please me. Some of the obvious "keepers"
(such as the cockpit drains), I will replace with real seacocks, but as
for the others, I'd love to be able to just cap them off right now (I
will not use them but don't want to remove them and glass them over
until I've had a chance to "live with it" for awhile to see what I want
to do).

In searching the archives for "thu hull," I notice that a couple of
people (Mike Lehman and also the owner of "Strayaway Child," I happen
to remember) mentioned getting bronze pipe caps and capping off the
through-hulls. This would be the *perfect* solution for some of mine
right now; but search as I might, I simply *cannot* find NPS threaded
bronze pipe caps. I can find them with NPT threads till they're coming
out my ears, but of course those don't match the NPS of through hulls,
and so will only engage a scary few threads at the very top.

I've tried McMaster Carr, Hamilton Marine, Port Supply/West, Jamestown,
and probably a few others that I can't recall at the moment. In one
web search I found a large gas-pipe company that had NPS bronze caps,
but only in 2" size, alas.

I'd be very grateful to know where anyone found the proper caps!

Thank you,

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221