[Public-list] Thinking about buying an Alberg

Charles Wells chuckdeany at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 14 16:16:23 PST 2007

Sam, if I may,

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago.  I settled on a project boat that had
less "improvements" and no upgrades except for roller furling than the boat
you are considering.  Yes, I have put a lot of time and money into the
project (and I continue to do so).  However, I believe it is worth it.  The
A30, as you have discovered, is a true classic boat (true, to emphasize
classic, which is overused in our society).  Since you have the time and
skills to tackle the job, you will find numerous ways to reduce costs on
everything from engine parts to canvas.  Incidentally I would not take
shortcuts on safety.  I firmly believe crew safety is first and foremost.

Yes, I would have the boat surveyed.  I do not know the cost in your area
but in the Chesapeake it averages about $300 without a sea trial.  If you
want the sea trial, add another $250 or so.  However, while surveyors can
highlight weak points, they can also cause alarm unnecessarily.  Almost
every piece of advice I received from my highly praised surveyor was wrong.
He did not know nor understand Alberg 30's and his advice caused me
trepidation.  The pro was I managed to get the price reduced significantly.
I have learned more about the boat and its real problems from this
association's website.  As a result I have more confidence than ever in the
boat.  Besides, any boat that can forgive the dumb things I have done (and
probably will do, despite my age), has to be a sound vessel.

Good luck.  You sound like you are on the right track and you have read and
done all of the right things so far.

Regards,

Chuck Wells

Apollo #475