[Public-list] Pulling out an Atomic 4

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 15 17:34:28 PST 2007

All -

I am going to be removing the Atomic 4 from my old-style A30 in a few weeks.  I have read the seminar notes on the web site, but I have a few questions:
1.  I understand the idea behind the second block & tackle pulling backwards on the engine, but what is the "points aft" that it is hooked to?  I am 125 miles from the boat right now but I cannot think of anything strong enough to hook this block & tackle to back there.
2. Has anyone used the boom top lift out and off-load the engine once it is off its mounts?
3. My bilge is really nasty, & I plan to clean it out while the motor is out.  Any suggestions of what to use to get the old oil, grease, and dirt out without melting the fiberglass or blowing up the boat?
4. Once I have cleaned out the bilge, I was thinking of sealing the bottom with epoxy.  I have only ever worked with small batches before, & I know large batches generate a lot of heat.  Would there be a heat problem dumping 1 or 2 quarts of epoxy down there?

David Swanson
Strayaway Child #229