[Public-list] public-list Digest, Vol 878, Issue 1

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Mon Jan 15 06:57:37 PST 2007

There is no question in my mind, buying a well maintained/upgraded boat
is immeasurably cheaper than buying a project and upgrading it to the
same standard, especially if you buy new gear and/or hire anyone to do
any of the work.

The problem is that there don't ever seem to be well maintained/upgraded
boats for sale.  The ones that do sell probably never make the market
because they're sold to someone who knows the owner and the boat.

I have a theory that people buy a boat like this for what seems like a
fair price for a good solid 30 footer in need of some "cosmetic work"
(woodwork, cleaning, some rigging upgrades, etc.).  By the time the
person has the boat up-to-snuff, he is too attached to sell the boat,
and the boat would never bring what it is worth to its owner.  The boat
stays maintained for a while, then the owner loses interest/loses
ability/etc. and the boat starts to deteriorate.  By the time the owner
recognizes that the boat has deteriorated, it is too late to maintain,
and time to restore.  The owner doesn't have the energy to put into it
again, and he puts it on the market and sells to someone who sees a
decent deal on a good solid 39 footer in need of some "cosmetic work."

And the cycle starts over again.

Andrew

> I too am a lurker in this group. Sorry, if I missed it, but has there
>   ever been a list compiled of various repairs / improvements along
with
>   the costs, both out of pocket and labor.e.g. on another list
(Triton,
>   I believe ) they were discussing the cost of replacing ports, in
this
>   case is was $525 each for bronze.  e.g. replacing A4 with Beta  e.g.
>   replacing a fuel tank, etc. etc.  This could be a very effective
tool
>   in estimating the cost of buying a project boat up to date.  From my
>   lurking and watching prices it looks like one might actually save
>   money by buying a boat with a lot of the work done--- seems you only
>   get a percentage of the improvement cost, just like in houses.
>   Dave Kruetzkamp
>   Stop and smell the roses.

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at lists.alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at lists.alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.