[Public-list] Circumnavigation Plans

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 04:10:39 PST 2007

Brennan,

Congratulations on your new boat!  Timbuktu is well known to the members of
this list.

Both Gordon and Sam have pointed you to Yves Gelinas and his website.  I
agree with their endorsement of his DVD since I have a copy and consider it
well worth watching more than once.  As the saying goes, "... a picture is
worth a thousand words" and there is a wealth of information in the film.
In fact it recently helped me make the decision to buy my Alberg.  I have no
plans to attempt a circumnavigation but I can see things that Yves has done
with his boat that make heavy weather sailing, regardless of the waters, a
lot safer.  He dealt with all of the issues of strengthening and safety that
you are contemplating.  However his mast is a larger extrusion than was
originally supplied by Whitby.

Yves planned a non-stop solo circumnavigation.  He eventually succeeded in
the circumnavigation but was forced to stop in the Chatham Islands after
being dismasted.  The DVD documents the physical and mental ordeal that Yves
faced as a result of the dismasting.  Yves' articles on his website are also
quite useful and contain additional advice.

In terms of other Alberg specific information, I have to recommend the
message archives for this list and the previous Yahoo list.  Both archives
are searchable based on key words and, while the process is slow, you can
find a lot of help in them.  All of the boat's major (and minor) "systems"
are covered somewhere in the various messages.  I have dug into them a
number of times as questions came to mind while thinking about my purchase.
If you don't find the answer there then you will find it from one of the
members on the list.

As a final note, it may be interesting to know that Yves' boat, Jean-du-Sud
(hull #399), is not a lot older than Timbuktu (hull #461).  Jean-du-Sud
survived a dismasting in the Southern Ocean and Yves is still sailing in
Europe today after completing the circumnavigation and then recrossing the
North Atlantic.  Timbukto survived a hurricane while moored and came out of
the experience with, relatively speaking, minor damage.  Both experiences
are pretty substantial endorsements of the design.

Cheers,

Hugh McCormack
Woody Point, Nfld

>From: brennan carney <stratman202 at yahoo.com>
>To: public-list at alberg30.org
>Subject: [Public-list] Circumnavigation Plans
>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:23:56 -0800 (PST)
>
>             My name is Brennan Carney and I am in the restoration process
>of a storm damaged 1971 Alberg 30.....

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006