[Public-list] Dodger

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 14:18:16 PST 2007

Hi All,

Thanks for all the dodger responses. I have been on vacation in Honduras and
Costa Rica for the past 2 weeks which is why I have not replied. But I'm
back now.

Okay here is the deal on the dodger:

SailRite sells a kit which will work for our boats and includes a
multi-piece bow their prices range from around $450-$750 for the whole kit.
Side and aft grab rails cost extra and you have to put it all together
(including making patterns and sewing yourself). They have a great website.
I encourage you to check it out if you are interested in making a dodger.
www.sailrite.com I have not asked about group discounts.

Genco quoted me about $950 for the whole deal. I did not ask about group
discounts.

Iverson said they would build me a frame including the 3-point welded aft
grab rail as well as selling me forward compression posts and side-mounted
grab rails as well. They quoted $475 for the frame. I am not sure if they
would give a group discount, but they are a custom shop and don't generally
make dodgers for boat outside of their region (pacific northwest). Because I
like their stuff best, i am probably going to buy a frame from them and then
make the fabric myself.

My thought is that if others are interested in doing this, I will be happy
to share my experience once I am done with the project, but I don't think
that organizing a group frame purchase from Iverson would be a good idea
right now. He is a custom fabricator - not really set up to do mail order.
However, if my project goes well he may well be interested in selling frames
to other people. So based on the outcome I would be happy to help others
with the project. But let's wait and see how my project comes out before we
all go jumping in. Based on Mike's statement that he knows a good bit about
sewing and has yet to produce a dodger that he is happy with, I am not even
remotely sure that this project will come out well. So I think that the
thing to do for now is wait and see. I will keep y'all posted. If it works
out, great and we can try to make a group buy. But if not I am the only one
who wastes money on the thing. Does that make sense?

J Bergquist
Calliope #287