[Public-list] pulpit

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jan 10 07:26:12 PST 2007

Hi there -

The factory built pulpits made with sleeves and grub screws are not
considered acceptable by modern standards - a welded one is far superior.
Similarly, lifelines that dive down to the deck at the pulpit are no longer
considered acceptable by modern standards.  The reason they go down is to
clear the foot of the headsail...but these days keeping people aboard is
considered more important!

The intermediate rail is of not so much importance - you are unlikely to get
past the forestay to fall out that way.  The intermediate rail will also
restrict the room you have up there to fool around with the anchor.

I still have the old sleeved pulpits - I plan to change them some day.

Cheers - Gord #426