[Public-list] Pulling out an Atomic 4

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 13:07:29 PST 2007

My technique is to use a 8 foot 4x4 across the companionway and a comealong.  Gently lift the engine, while holding it back, until it is off the mounts and free.  Then swing it into the cabin.  Lift it as high as possible and with four friends lift it out and place it on the bridge deck.  I have been lucky and only done it tied up in a slip, so it was easy to walk off and place on a dolly.  If your halyards and topping lift are in good condition, I don't see why it couldn't be lowered to the ground with a block and tackle (main sheet).   Just a reminder  Be sure everything is disconnected before you try and move it.  If you have a dripless type seal, block the prop as far to the rear as possible, these are spring loaded and will push the shaft toward the engine.

Cleaners I like Simple Green, Citrus Orange, Fantastic, 409 and Soft Scrub    Scrub, rinse with lots of water, again and again.  Toilet brushes are good for reaching into distant holes.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs.