[Public-list] bilge epoxy et al

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Fri Jan 19 09:52:11 PST 2007

David,
When I replaced my engine about 15 years ago I repainted the bilge. I cleaned the bilge in about the same manner as Dan did then prepped the surface and painted the entire bilge with the best two part primer and a two part finishing I could find at a marine supply store. I believe I put down two coats of each. I think it was some type of Interlux paint maybe Multithane Primer and Interthane Plus. (I think this is a polyurethane). When I got finished it looked beautiful. Like a shiny white porceline surface like a brand new toilet bowl. I don't recall doing any kind of grinding just a good cleaning an a light sanding. I'm sure I used the recommended solvents for a final cleaning before painting. This finish has held up great. I have had no flaking at all. The last thing you want is paint flaking off into your bilge. It will cause contant bilge pump problems. The surface is still shiny and hard and easy to clean. I wish the rest of my boat looked this good.
John