[Public-list] free chart-plotter software

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Thu Jan 25 11:47:23 PST 2007

At 07:51 PM 1/23/2007, George Dinwiddie wrote:
>I haven't tried this, but I heard about it on another list, and thought
>it might be of interest to some.  Especially at the price. ;-)
>[...]
>If you try it, let us know what you think.

George... I've tried it extensively and it works like a champ. It runs on
just about any Windows laptop as well as desktops. Sit at home on a cold
wintry (as opposed to cold summery?) day at your desktop and plot all the
Fall Cruise routes in advance. Download the charts, waypoints, & routes to
the laptop and you're all set to sail. Your little boat icon moves along
(with gps input) the moving chart getting you from hither to yon. See the
quote below from an email I posted last Fall on the public list responding
to a question from J Berquist.

Notes:

1. The program is free and you also can use the best, latest updated NOAA
charts for free. (See link below.) No more entering corrections from the
Notice to Mariners to  a paper chart.

2. You need a reasonably good sized hard disk - the charts are about 4MB
each - or only store a few charts for the Chesapeake.

3. Another free program lets you upload old tracks and edit tracks, but
it's not necessary.

4. It doesn't support USB yet, so you need a laptop with a serial port or
get a serial-USB dongle if you only have newer USB ports. That works for me.

5. It does support just about any old GPS unit that outputs serial NMEA;
any version. That's practically all of them.

6. It's sometimes hard to read the computer screen in bright sunlight. But
that's probably true of all chartplotters; best used below decks anyway to
avoid spray.

7. Zooming is very good and the screen display is excellent.

8. The controls are simple but not very intuitive. Read the manual first.

9. Use any smallish inverter to power the laptop.

pass the time when I singlehand.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181