[Public-list] Happy new owner

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 28 19:09:36 PST 2007

Rachel,
  I have hull # 133 mfg in 1966.  It had the original aluminum tank installed flat in the Starboard cockpit locker.  The tank looked great and there was only a minor smell of fuel.  When I decided to store the boat for a refit I wanted to remove all of the fuel as well as the batteries to help prevent a fire.  I decided the best way to remove all the fuel was to remove the tank.  My original tank was resting on a solid plywood shelf in the Starboard locker.  I had goose bumps when I removed the tank to find that the bottom side was all corroded because of its contact with the surface of the solid shelf that it was resting on.  I deducted that the extensive corrosion was caused by condensation caught between the 'shelf' and the tank surface.  Because the tank was supported in this manner the bottom outside surface could not be inspected for damage and could not ventilate itself and dry off.  I believe that the tank failed because of this constant dampness situation.

  I don't know how your tank is fastened in the locker, but if you can't see the bottom outside surface to inspect it I would remove it to see what you might find. Regardless of how new it is.

  I do know that on my reinstallation of a new tank it will be some how so that I can visually inspect as much of the outside surfaces of the tank as possible.

  I also have a feeling that if you can smell fuel then the conditions are ripe for an explosion.  It is the mixture of air and fuel vapours that are dangerious, not necessarily wet fuel.  Wet fuel will burn but fuel vapours are what explode and are really more dangerous.  I caution you to be so very careful using heaters onboard until you have this fuel smell thing solved.  In other words don't use them until there is absolutely no smell or oder of fuel on board.  I had goose bumps from my situation because I realized that it was an explosion just waiting to happen.  I was just luckly.........................

  Michael #133

Rachel <penokee at cheqnet.net> wrote:
  Dan,

I don't exactly understand why you're urging me to get rid of the tank?
It's already a newer tank than original and looks to be in excellent
shape. It does not seem to be leaking. It's painted metal and the
paint looks shiny and new.

I mean, I'm not saying it might not have a problem, and I will
certainly inspect it carefully, but why just instantly get rid of it
and why is it going to fail for sure (that is, any more than any other
tank would)?

I have no interest in exploding, that's for sure!

Thanks,
--- Rachel