[Public-List] Oily Bilge

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Jul 30 17:35:46 PDT 2007

Mike Dwyer wrote:
> Hey guys could use your help in cleaning up an oily bilge. I
> purchased "Imp" last fall . At the time it had been leaking oil into
> the bilge via a bad dip stick connection. I pulled the engine to make
> repairs and to clean / paint the bilge. In the process of cleaning
> the bilge I am coming across what appears to be concrete at the
> bottom of the bilge and it has begun deteriorating.  Three questions:
> Is it normal for Albergs to have concrete in the bilge for ballast
> and would it be feasable to remove the remnant to clean the oil out.
> Lastly what would you recommend to clean the oily surface prior to
> painting. Thanks greatly appreciate your thoughts!

I'd suggest a liquid laundry detergent to clean the bilge, but you don't
want to pump it overboard.  I've used a shopvac to clean out the bilge,
before.

I don't know about the bilge details of the older boats.  The ballast,
however, is cast iron, not concrete.  You may be seeing the covering
over the ballast.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.